- Accelerated. Finish your degree in as few as two years.
- Change Lives. Do you remember the impact a teacher had on your life? Most of us know how important teachers are in the lives of students and how they have the opportunity to make a lasting legacy by sharing knowledge and caring for students. If you have a bachelor‘s degree in just about any discipline, you can shift gears to find the purpose you have wanted for your career!
- Enter a High Demand Career. Did you know that thousands of teaching jobs go unfilled every year in Kentucky? According to the Kentucky Department of Education, the average salary for a teacher is over $53K a year, and there are job openings in counties across the state.
- Earn BOTH, a Masters and Teaching Certificate. Earn a concurrent master’s degree and teacher certification at the same time.
- #1 for Return on Investment. According to the 2019 Georgetown University report, Thomas More University ranked #1 in Kentucky for Return on Investment.
- Career Assistance. Our professors have extensive networks across the area and help students find meaningful learning and career opportunities.
- Balance Learning, Work, and Family. At the pace of life, we know you need to integrate a high-quality education within your work and home life. We know you are busy, so we offer personal advising by our expert advisors and program director, who can help you design a plan from the first day to graduation.
- Clear completion plan. With the help of our personal advisors, you will know exactly what courses, when to take them and have a graduation plan mapped out for you.
- Professors with practical experience. Our professors stay up to date in their fields and will be teaching practical skills you can use right away as a teaching professional.
- Values-Based. Choose Thomas More University for a values-based education that will help you become who you were meant to be, both personally and professionally.
To learn more, contact your personal enrollment coach today!
Telephone: 859-344-3333 or Email: email@example.com
What are the Admission Requirements?
The following items are required for admission into the MAT program:
- Completion of a bachelor’s degree with a certifiable major
- Application to the Master of Arts in Teaching Program
- Personal Statement Essay, typed, 300-500 words, which includes:
- A brief autobiography
- A description of life and work experiences related to the planned certification area
- Human Relations Incident – a reflective description of teaching or other experience with young people – from a human relations standpoint, the event had special meaning
- The required essays must include and address the following: Creativity, Critical Thinking, Communication, and Collaboration
- Official transcripts of all undergraduate and graduate work completed sent directly from the issuing institution to Thomas More University
- Content area faculty will assist in transcript review to determine if additional undergraduate coursework is needed prior to admission to the program
- Undergraduate and Content GPA of 2.75 or higher. Candidates must submit either:
- The Praxis Core Academic Skills for Educators (Core) Tests
- Core: Reading (#5712, minimum score of 156)
- Core: Writing (#5722, minimum score of 162)
- Mathematics (#5732, minimum score of 150)
- OR the Graduate Record Exam (GRE):
- If taken prior to August 1, 2011, a minimum score of 450 for Verbal Reasoning, 490 for Quantitative Reasoning, and 4.0 for Analytical Writing
- If taken on or after August 1, 2011, a minimum score of 150 for Verbal Reasoning, 143 for Quantitative Reasoning, and a 4.0 for Analytical Writing
- Scores must be on file in the MAT Office, as well as the Kentucky Education Professional Standards Board (EPSB), prior to admission
- Professional Résumé
- Two recommendation forms (included in the application packet) – one from a school principal if currently teaching; a current or previous supervisor; and/or a non-family member who can attest to the candidate’s potential for success as a teacher
- PRAXIS Subject Assessment Content Area Exam Score Report – Candidates enrolled in the MAT Program must complete the PRAXIS Subject Assessment Content Area Exam with an acceptable score before acquiring full admission status
- Kentucky Criminal Records Check
- Signed copy of the Professional Code of Ethics for Kentucky School Personnel included in the application packet
- Signed copy of the Character and Fitness Form
- Completed Thomas More University Teacher Leadership Dispositions Self-Assessment
- Interview with Alternative Certification Admissions Committee
- Approval by Alternative Certification Admissions Committee OR Graduate Admissions Committee (if appropriate)
Thomas more accelerated & Graduate Programs office
365 Thomas More Parkway
Crestview Hills, KY 41017