HR at Thomas More College
Home > MAT Program > Frequently Asked Questions

Frequently Asked Questions

What is the MAT Program?

This is a Master of Arts in Teaching Program. Completion of this degree leads to teacher certification for candidates who hold a bachelor's degree in an approved content area. There are two options when entering the MAT Program: Option 6 or Traditional. The Option 6 Program is available for candidates who are employed and teaching under a Temporary Provisional Certificate. The Traditional Program is available for candidates who maintain their current job or may not be employed. If you are a candidate in the Traditional Program, you must participate in a 15-week supervised teaching experience during your final semester. This is a non-paid teaching experience and requires full participation from 7:30 AM to 4:30 PM, Monday through Friday. Candidates must understand that this 7:30 AM to 4:30 PM commitment means that they cannot have fulltime employment during this period. Candidates in either Option 6 or Traditional Program can choose Middle Grades (5-9) in the content areas of: English and Communications, Mathematics, Social Studies, or Science, OR Secondary Education (8-12) in the content areas of: Biology, Chemistry, English, Mathematics, Physics, Social Studies, or Speech/Media Communication. Candidates who hold a bachelor's degree in Art, Spanish, or Theatre, will be certified for Grades P-12. Business and Marketing candidates who hold a bachelor's degree in business and/or marketing will be certified for Grades 5-12.

Is there flexibility within the program schedule?

Yes, classes will be offered during the Fall, Spring and Summer semesters in the evenings. The format of all MAT courses are hybrid, both on campus and online.

If I want to obtain a teacher certification for Ohio or Indiana, can I do this through TMC's MAT Program?

Thomas More's MAT Program only offers teacher preparation for initial Kentucky teacher certification. If a MAT candidate wants to obtain out-of-state certification, she/he must successfully complete Thomas More's MAT Program and receive Kentucky certification. They can then apply for the out-of-state certification. Each state certification entity will evaluate the transcripts from TMC's Program and determine if all requirements for certification in the particular state have been met.

Is there such a thing as course work that is "too old"?

Possibly. Some departments at Thomas More are concerned if coursework is more than ten (10) years old. Much is dependent upon the candidate's performance on the PRAXIS II Content Area exam and what the candidate has been doing since the undergraduate degree was acquired. If the candidate is using the content knowledge on the job and can provide evidence of content knowledge via a portfolio or through the interview process, additional undergraduate coursework may not be necessary prior to admission to the MAT Program.

To whom do I submit transcripts?

All official transcripts must be sent from the institution(s) attention to: Mrs. Allison Kennedy, MAT Program, Thomas More College, 333 Thomas More Pkwy., Crestview Hills, KY 41017. Unofficial transcripts may be sent via email:

How does TMC determine if I need additional undergraduate coursework before I can begin the MAT Program?

When a person expresses interest in the MAT Program at Thomas More College, the Coordinator requests a copy of all transcripts which are forwarded to the content areas for review. The MAT Coordinator accepts the content area recommendation and shares the results by mail with the potential candidate. If a candidate holds a Bachelor's Degree in the designated content area and meets the GPA requirement, the transcript is not forwarded to the content area for review.

How long will it take me to finish the program?

The program is designed to be completed over a two-year period, which includes a summer session. The candidate then completes the course sequence thus: first fall, first spring, summer, second fall and second spring. During the second spring semester, Traditional candidates will complete the supervised teaching experience component.

What is the PRAXIS II and how do I register?

The PRAXIS II is the national teachers' examination prepared and scored by the Educational Testing Service (ETS). It consists of content area assessments to measure your content knowledge of the subject you teach. The PRAXIS II Content Area exam is required for admission to the MAT Program. The PRAXIS II, Principles of Learning and Teaching (PLT), assessment is required prior to registering for the last course in the MAT Program. The PLT assessment measures your general pedagogical knowledge of your grade level. It uses a case study approach and features constructed-response and multiple choice items. The Education Professional Standards Board (EPSB) determines which tests are administered to teaching certification candidates and determines minimum required scores. The test registration fee is noted in the ETS Bulletin. Please visit the PRAXIS website for information on fees for content area examinations at

Candidates must submit either the Core Academic Skills for Educators Exam (CASE) in Reading (#5712, min. score 156), Writing (#5722, min. score 162), and Mathematics (#5732, min. score 150), OR successful completion of the Graduate Record Exam (GRE) with a score of Verbal (150), Quantitative (143), and Analytical (4.0). Scores must be on file in the MAT Office prior to admission. In addition, an official score report must be sent to the Education Professional Standards Board, Kentucky Department of Education. The candidate must request this at the time of registration to avoid additional fees.

PLEASE NOTE: According to the Educational Testing Service (ETS), the Core Academic Skills Exam (CASE), and the Graduate Record Exam (GRE) test scores are valid for five years after the testing year in which the candidate tested. Scores after this five year time frame are no longer available and are no longer valid for admission.

How do I obtain a criminal records check and what does it cost?

State criminal records checks are required for admission to the MAT Program. Forms are available in the MAT Office as well as the Education Department Office at Thomas More College. The cost for state criminal records check is $20. Checks can be made payable to the Kentucky State Treasurer.

Mrs. Allison Kennedy - MAT Program Assistant
Dr. Kim Haverkos - Graduate Director

If you are a Traditional candidate, you must participate in a 15-week supervised teaching experience during your final semester. This is a non-paid teaching experience which requires full participation in the supervised teaching experience from 7:30 AM to 4:40 PM, Monday through Friday during this period. Candidates must understand that this 7:30 AM to 4:30 PM commitment means that they cannot have fulltime employment during this period.