Thomas More College
Home > Admissions > Frequently Asked Questions

Frequently Asked Questions

  1. How do I determine which GI Bill benefits are best for me?
  2. For most situations, our Certifying Official ( can answer basic questions about your GI Bill benefits. If there are special circumstances pertaining to your situation, it would probably be best to contact the VA through their GI Bill Hotline at 1-888-GIBILL-1 (1-888-442-4551) and speak to a VA advisor.

    *hint* Once the automated answering service begins, press 1, then 0 to speak to an advisor. You will be prompted to either call back later (in which case simply call back), you will be put on hold, or your call will be answered.

  3. How do I apply for GI Bill benefits?
  4. You can apply for the GI Bill on the VA website. Remember, it can take months to fully process your application, so you'll want to apply for benefits well before your semester begins to ensure your payments begin on time.

  5. Can I use National Guard or Reserve Tuition Assistance in conjunction with GI Bill benefits?
  6. Yes, as long as you are not activated to Active Duty while using those benefits. If you are activated, you can either use the Active Duty Tuition Assistance (TA) or GI Bill benefits, but not both. Also, you must pursue courses at least 1/2 time (6 credit hours) to apply for TA through the military.

  7. How much credit will I get for my military experience?
  8. The number of credit hours you will receive at Thomas More College will be determined on a case by case basis by your registrar Michelle Vezina. She will review each military transcripts individually.

  9. Can I transfer my GI Bill benefits to my spouse or child?
  10. The Ch. 33 (Post 9/11) GI Bill can be transferred to dependents if you are eligible to do so. You must be on active dutyassignment and paperwork must be submitted to youreducation POC. This process is very specific and can be lengthy, make sure that you read and understand the order of the process, and begin the process as early as possible to ensure you begin receiving your payments on time.

  11. I've been using my GI Bill benefits at another school, but I am transferring to Thomas More. How do I transfer my benefits to Thomas More College?
  12. You will need to submit a Change of Place of Training Form 22-1995 for everyone except dependents. Dependents need to fill out Form 22-5495. You can find the 22-1995 and the 22-5495 on the Veterans Affairs webpage.

  13. Where can I get help deciding a major if I am undecided?
  14. Deciding on a career path can be difficult. The Career Planning Center on campus will help you by suggesting various majors based off your skills and interests. It's best to find out what you want to study as early as possible so you minimize taking classes that you will not need for your final degree. Contact Julie Mueller, Career Planning and Co-Op Coordinator, at 859-344-3386 / to schedule an appointment TODAY!