Missing Persons Policy for Students Residing on Campus
Thomas More College, in compliance with the Higher Education Act and its reauthorization in 2006 and 2007, establishes the following policy with regards to missing students residing in on-campus housing. All students submitting an application for on-campus housing shall be given the opportunity to provide confidential contact information for a person to be notified in the event the student is officially reported to the Office of Campus Safety as missing.
For any student residing in on-campus housing for which a missing persons form has been submitted to the Office of Campus Safety, the following actions shall be taken:
- The missing student will be reported to the Dean of Students
- The Office of Residence Life will attempt to contact the student using contact information provided.
- With the assistance of Campus Safety, the residence life staff shall enter the student’s room to determine of the student is present/ has recently occupied the room and question the roommate if applicable.
- If, after 24 hours of the report being filed the student is not located the following steps shall be taken:
- The confidential contact shall be notified
- If the student is under 18 years of age, the parent/ legal guardian as indicated on the application, will be notified;
- If over 18 years of age and did not identify a confidential contact, local police will be notified.