Director of Development
|To Apply:||Send resume and cover letter to email@example.com|
|Contact:||Laura Custer, Director of Human Resources
Thomas More College, located in Crestview Hills, KY in the Greater Cincinnati area, is a small, private liberal arts Catholic college. We are seeking a full-time Director of Development.
The Director of Development reports to the Vice President of Institutional Advancement. The primary purpose of this position is to foster cultivation and solicitation efforts to serve the needs of Thomas More College through fundraising and development programs. In collaboration with the Vice President, the Director provides the vision, leadership and management for the overall fundraising program for the College with the primary responsibility of increasing overall private support.
The Director’s effectiveness will be evaluated on several criteria, including the ability to achieve financial goals and contact metrics. Ultimately, the Director is responsible for leading and managing the development operation to increase gift commitments exponentially over the next three to seven years.
- Supervisory skills to provide direction, guidance, and training to professional and support staff.
- Ability to organize, direct, motivate, and evaluate the efforts of volunteers.
- Strong communication skills to express, both orally and in writing, the mission of the College and the fundraising goals of the campus, especially as they relate to the College.
- Interpersonal skills to work harmoniously with other staff, academic leaders, faculty, community leaders, donors and volunteers.
- Must be able to determine how best to develop and maintain effective relationships with donors and determine when and how a prospective donor can be successfully solicited for a gift.
- Ability to participate in all aspects of the gift cycle.
- Must have knowledge of planned giving techniques and vehicles.
- Ability to work under pressure of deadlines and dollar goals.
- Possess excellent verbal and written communication skills as well as professional interpersonal skills.
- Work well in a team environment and be able to accept input as well as supervisory guidance.
- Ability to take initiative, work independently, as well as regularly set and achieve work goals.
- Advise the Vice President for Institutional Advancement on a regular basis regarding major corporate and foundation gift program activities, effectiveness and results.
- Supervise 5 direct reports responsible for planned giving, annual fund, alumni relations, communications, and advancement services.
- Manage a personal portfolio of approximately 50 major gift donors and prospects, and meet annual goals for contacts made and gifts received while documenting contacts and solicitation plans.
- Average 16 face to face meetings per month with current donors, potential new donors and community leaders.
- Develop annual and multi-year fundraising plans to support institutional funding priorities that advance key College initiatives.
- Make recommendations on policy, program, staffing, and budget needed to accomplish campus development goals.
- Assist with foundation and corporation grant writing.
- Work with the Director of Annual Giving to create and execute an annual giving plan for the College.
- Work with the Director of Alumni Relations to assist with alumni programs aimed at engaging alumni with the potential to give major gifts.
- Work with the Director of Communications and Public Relations to promote the College to its constituents.
- Work on various projects, as assigned, including the production of communication tools, proposals, and reports, and organizing on and off-campus cultivation and recognition events.
- Generally support the College’s development program, including, but not limited to attendance at and help with fundraising, recognition, and alumni events.
- Assist staff as needed with additional development initiatives and undertake special projects and assignments as directed.
- Travel as necessary to cultivate and solicit major gifts.
Education and Experience
- Bachelor’s degree required, advanced degree preferred.
- Experience in higher education preferred.
- Excellent written, oral and presentation skills.
- 5 to 7 years of progressive management and development experience preferred.
Email resume, cover letter and complete contact information for five (5) references to firstname.lastname@example.org, or mail to Director of Human Resources, Thomas More College, 333 Thomas More Parkway, Crestview Hills, KY 41017.
For more information about Thomas More College, visit our website at www.thomasmore.edu