Requirements/Recommendations for Physical Therapy
Some schools, including UC, require a Bachelor's degree from an accredited college or university with minimum overall GPA (approximately 3.00/4.00). Note that UK is transitioning from a bachelors/masters degree to a doctorate degree in 2006/2007; this may change the pre-requisites needed for admission.
As a guide, the following are the pre-requisites for admission into the Physical Therapy Program at the University of Kentucky:
- 2 semesters of general physics with labs
- 2 semesters of general chemistry with labs
- 2 semesters of general biology, animal biology or zoology
(5 of the 6 courses listed above must be completed prior to submitting an application)
- 2 semesters of psychology (general and developmental are preferred)
- 1 semester of statistics (minimum of 3 credits)
- 1 semester of medical terminology (minimum of 2 credits, 3 credits preferred)
NOTE: A grade of "C" or better is required in all the pre-professional courses listed above.
- 1 semester of exercise physiology
- 1 semester of comparative or human anatomy with lab (not A&P)
- courses in mathematics and typing
- upper division biology, chemistry and physics courses are recommended to give students an opportunity to work toward a degree program and to increase their overall value in the application.
- Certification in cardio-pulmonary resuscitation for adults, children and infants by the American Heart Association for Health Professionals or American Red Cross for the Professional Rescuer (the community CPR course is not acceptable)
- Certification in first aid by the American Red Cross
- Volunteer requirement: 50 hours of documented and confirmed physical therapy observation or aid experience, with a minimum of 25 hours at each of tow separate facilities
- An interview, if selected